Steve Mehnert and Jen Vaughn, a couple who lives in Wisconsin, were having a barbecue with their dog, Koda, who is a great Pyrenees-Lab mix. He was large but gentle, and the couple always felt like he was special. One day, he proved them right by saving their lives.
Koda’s Urgent Howl
Following their evening barbecue, the couple headed to bed, leaving Koda to rest downstairs. It was the start of an ordinary night, but at five in the morning, Koda’s behavior took an unusual turn and he began howling persistently. The grill ashes, previously discarded in a metal bucket, had reignited due to strong winds, threatening the back of the house. When Steve opened the door, the flames rushed in, triggering the fire alarm.
Jen dialed 911 and raced to safety, struggling through the smoky staircase. The couple’s panic grew as they realized Koda was still inside. Steve’s attempts to rescue him were thwarted by the smoke, leaving them in fear for their beloved dog’s life. Firefighters soon arrived, and two of them, J.P. Kronschnabel and Brandon Rachwal, embarked on a mission to find Koda amidst the raging flames.
Koda’s Lifesaving Miracle
Miraculously, Koda was found sprawled and motionless on the kitchen floor and it seemed as though Koda’s fate was sealed. But he was destined to survive, thanks to a remarkable gift from the past.
Three years earlier, students from Brookfield Central High School’s Promoting Animal Welfare Society (PAWS) had raised funds and donated pet-sized oxygen masks to their local fire department. While the masks had not been used until now, they proved invaluable. A few days later, Koda was reunited with his family, all thanks to the oxygen he received. The PAWS club members were invited to meet Koda and witness the life-changing impact of their thoughtful gift.